You’ll need to meet the Applied Pathway criteria and achieve a grade 4 in GCSE Maths, along with two grade 4s in GCSE Sciences or a Distinction in a vocational Level 2 Science qualification.
For further information on the pathways, please click here.
Students opting for this qualification should have a keen desire to progress into a STEM related field. Topics include:
• Principles and applications of Science
• Practical scientific procedures and techniques
• Science investigation skills
• Laboratory techniques and applications
• An investigative project
• Exploration of contemporary issues within Science
An enriching experience
Studying Applied Science at HNC is an enriching experience. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to develop your skills and interests, broadening your horizons and building your cultural capital. These experiences are integral to life at HNC and will help you to stand out from the crowd. Some of the experiences our Applied Science students enjoy include:
• Residential visits to stretch and challenge you and build on your cultural capital. This year, Science students spent 10 nights in South Africa, taking part in conservation projects and working with pupils in a rural primary school
• Visits to universities and employers to develop your understanding of the subject and possible progression routes
• The option to become one of our STEM ambassadors, representing HNC at events such as our Open Days, building key employability skills such as communication and leadership
• Taking part in hands on, practical workshops where you will develop skills valued by employers and universities alike
We are proud of the unique experiences that are available to our students both inside and outside of the classroom. Our subject specialists will instil in you a love of learning, and challenge you to develop the required skills you’ll need to achieve the life-changing qualifications that will lead you to your dream career.
You will undertake the practical elements of this Applied qualification in our state-of-the-art Science laboratories and will work with our teachers and technicians to develop your knowledge and skills to ensure that you’re ready for your next steps.
How will you be assessed?
Assessment is via presentations, group work and assignments and externally assessed exams.
Applied Science is a practical and respected course that gives students a solid understanding of the three core sciences, so is most suited to those hoping to pursue a STEM based career. Valued by universities and employers alike, students can progress either to higher education or the world of work, including degree level apprenticeships, from this qualification. It leads to an impressive and diverse range of career opportunities such as Biochemistry, Food Science, Pharmacy and Clinical Sciences. Applied Science students have recently progressed to university to study subjects such as:
• Clinical Science
• Paramedic Science
Please note this is only available as an Extended Diploma. This means it is a full-time study programme and therefore, is not available to study alongside any other subject