You’ll need to meet the entry criteria for your chosen Pathway and achieve a minimum of a grade 6 in GCSE Maths and a grade 6/5 in GCSE Sciences.
NOTE: Students must also study A Level Mathematics.
You will explore a vast range of concepts, topics and theories, including:
- Electricity, waves, classical and further mechanics
- Particle, nuclear and quantum Physics
- Gravitational and electric fields (and their consequences)
- Thermal Physics and gas laws
An enriching experience
Studying A Level Physics at HNC is an enriching experience. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to develop your skills and interests, broadening your horizons and building your cultural capital. These experiences are integral to life at HNC and will help you to stand out from the crowd. Some of the experiences our A Level Physics students enjoy include:
- Residential visits to stretch and challenge you and build on your cultural capital. This year, Science students spent 10 nights in South Africa, taking part in conservation projects and working with pupils in a rural primary school
- Visits to universities and employers to help you to understand progression routes and support to apply for prestigious summer schools at Russell Group Universities
- Visiting speakers and lecturers to expand your knowledge and inspire your next steps
- Participation in national conferences such as Physics in Action
We are proud of the unique experiences that are available to our students both inside and outside of the classroom. Our subject specialists will instil in you a love of learning, and challenge you to develop the required skills you’ll need to achieve the life-changing qualifications that will lead you to your dream career.
You will undertake the practical elements of this A Level in our state-of-the-art Science laboratories and will work with our subject experts to develop your knowledge and ensure that you have plenty of opportunities to link theory with practice, preparing you for university study. Many of our A Level Physics students also take part in our XL Programme, which provides you with unique and exceptional opportunities
How will you be assessed?
This course is assessed by examination.
A Level Physics is a well-respected qualification that will support your progression into a wide-range of careers, from Engineering and Architecture to Astrophysics. It will particularly benefit students wishing to study STEM related degree subjects – we recommend that your study programme contains at least one other STEM based subject if this is your ambition. This is because many universities will require more than one Science as part of their entry requirements.
Physics relates to many areas where there is a shortage of qualified individuals, therefore this subject opens up a world of opportunity at degree level, and in your future career! A Level Physics students progress to university to study subjects such as:
- Computer Science