You’ll need to meet the entry criteria for your chosen Pathway and achieve a minimum of a grade 4/4 in GCSE Sciences.
This is a brand-new course for 2024 and the topics you study will include:
- Life on earth
- Life processes
- The Atmosphere, hydrosphere and lithosphere
- Biogeochemical cycles
- Energy resources and sustainability
- Agriculture and ecosystem services
An enriching experience
Studying a Science based A Level at HNC is an enriching experience. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to develop your skills and interests, broadening your horizons and building your cultural capital. These experiences are integral to life at HNC and will help you to stand
out from the crowd. Some of the experiences our A Level Science students enjoy include:
- Residential visits to stretch and challenge you and build on your cultural This year, Science students spent 10 nights in South Africa, taking part in conservation projects and working with pupils in a rural primary school
- Visits to universities and employers to help you to understand progression routes and support to apply for prestigious summer schools at Russell Group Universities
- Visiting speakers and lecturers to expand your knowledge and inspire your next
- A range of field trips to further your understanding and gain genuine employability and wider research skills
We are proud of the unique experiences that are available to our students both inside and outside of the classroom. Our subject specialists will instil in you a love of learning, and challenge you to develop the required skills you’ll need to achieve the life-changing qualifications that will lead you to your dream career.
You will study this A Level in our state-of-the-art Science laboratories and will further expand your knowledge through a range of dynamic field trips, from educational visits to local zoos and wildlife sanctuaries to residential field trips to areas of outstanding natural beauty. Our subject experts to develop your knowledge and ensure that you have plenty of opportunities to link theory with practice, preparing you for university study.
How will you be assessed?
This course is assessed via examinations.
A Level Environmental Science supports a wide range of career paths, depending upon which courses you choose to pair this A Level with. The range of higher education and work opportunities are extensive – the list is genuinely endless! This is an especially useful A Level for students who hope to progress to careers in ecology, renewable energy, agriculture, marine biology, local and national government, transport design, town planning and conservation. It is also an important subject for new fields such as ecotoxicology, climatology and geobiology!
If you’re thinking of studying A Level Environmental and pursuing a STEM based career, we recommend that your study programme contains at least one other STEM based subject. This is because many universities will require more than one Science as part of their entry requirements.